A fact acquires its true and full value only through the idea which is developed from it. - Justus von Liebig 1803 to 1873 Chemist
I am not insensible of the advantage which accrues to Applied Mathematics from the co-operation of the Pure Mathematician and this co-operation is not infrequently called forth by the very imperfections of writers on Applied Mathematics. ~ Ronald Fisher 1890 – 1962 - Mathematician Statistician Evolutionary Biologist
Fazlur Khan (1929–1982) Bangladesh – structural systems for high-rise skyscrapers.
Yves Klein (1928–1962) France – International Klein Blue.
Marvin Minsky (born 1927) USA – a.o. Confocal microscopy.
William Cullen (1710–1790) UK – first artificial refrigerator.
George de Bothezat (1882–1940) Russia/USA – quadrotor helicopter (The Flying Octopus).
David Gestetner (1854–1939) Austria-Hungary / UK – a.o. Gestetner copier.
C. W. Fuller (inv. 1953) USA – Gilhoolie.
Paul Walden (1863–1957) Latvia/Russia/Germany – Walden inversion Ethylammonium nitrate (the first room temperature ionic liquid).
John J. Montgomery (1858–1911) USA – heavier-than-air gliders.
James Fergason (born 1934) USA – improved liquid crystal display.
Min Chueh Chang (1908–1991) together with Gregory Goodwin Pincus (1903–1967) USA/China – Combined oral contraceptive pill.
Charles Babbage (1791–1871) UK – analytical engine (semi-automatic).
Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot (1725–1804) France – first steam-powered road vehicle.
Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit (1686–1736) The Netherlands – Fahrenheit temperature scale Mercury-in-glass thermometer.
Larry Sanger (born 1968) together with Jimmy Wales (1966–) USA – Wikipedia.
Anthony Michell (1870–1959) Australia – tilting pad thrust bearing crankless engine.
Margaret E. Knight (1838–1914) USA – machine that completely constructs box-bottom brown paper bags.
Heinrich Hertz (1857–1894) Germany – radio telegraphy electromagnetic radiation.
Raul Cuero (born 1948) Buenaventura Colombia see Inventions and patents list.
Andrei Sakharov (1921–1989) Russia – invented explosively pumped flux compression generator co-developed the Tsar Bomb and tokamak.
Valid criticism does you a favor. - Carl Sagan 1934 to 1996 Astronomer
I saw that people trying to synthesize gold and silver were working in ignorance and by false methods; I then perceived that they belonged to two classes the dupers and the duped. I pitied both of them. ~ Geber c. 712 – c. 815 AD
Instead of being the biological center of the Universe I believe our planet is just an assembly station but one with a major advantage over most other places. The constant presence of liquid water almost everywhere on the Earth is a huge advantage for life especially for assembling life into complex forms by the process we call ‘evolution.’ ~ Fred Hoyle 1915 to 2001 - Astrophysicist
Euclid’s work ought to have been any educationist’s nightmare… it never offers any “motivations ” it has no illuminating “asides ” it does not attempt to make anything “intuitive ” and it avoids “applications” to a fault. It is so “humorless” in its mathematical purism that… …it should have been spurned by students and “progressive” teachers in every generation. But it nevertheless survived intact all the turmoils ravages and illiteracies of the dissolving Roman Empire of the early Dark Ages of the Crusades and of the plagues and famines of the later Middle Ages. ~ Salomon Bochner 1899 – 1982 - Mathematician
The invention of logarithms came to the world as a bolt from the blue. No previous work had led up to it… It stands isolated breaking in upon human thought abruptly without borrowing from the work of other intellects or following known lines of mathematical thought. ~ John Moulton 1844 – 1921 - Mathematician
A theory is a supposition which we hope to be true a hypothesis is a supposition which we expect to be useful; fictions belong to the realm of art; if made to intrude elsewhere they become either make-believes or mistakes. - George Johnstone Stoney 1826 to 1911 Physicist
A fact acquires its true and full value only through the idea which is developed from it. ~ Justus von Liebig - 1803 to 1873
- Connectivity: Wirelessly connect and control a wide range of compatible smart devices from 40+ partner brands, including voice assistants, lights & switches, speakers, cameras, sensors and more
- Home Automation: Teach the hub your Good Morning, Goodbye, Goodnight, and other routines to automatically turn devices on or off throughout the day
- 24/7 Monitoring: Receive app alerts from connected devices when there's unexpected activity in your home.Material: Plastic
- Voice Controls: Use voice commands to control connected devices using SmartThings and the Google Assistant
- Improved DIY Solution: Improved guided onboarding for easier setup. Hub connects with Wi-Fi so does not need to be connected to an Ethernet cable
- VOICE ACTIVATED: With the Philips Hue Smart Hub, add up to 50 Philips Hue smart lights of your choice with this ZigBee-controlled hub necessary for voice control with Alexa, Apple HomeKit, or Google Assistant
- CONTROL YOUR SMART LIGHTS FROM ANYWHERE: The heart of your Philips Hue system, this hue hub also enables you to control all of your Philips Hue products via the Philips Hue app, even when you're away from home
- FULLY AUTOMATE YOUR SMART HOME: Enhance your Philips Hue system by setting timers and alarms, connecting to a variety of apps, dimming the smart lights and more (cannot be used with conventional dimmers)
- EXPAND YOUR ECOSYSTEM: Easily expand your smart lighting system with Philips Hue accessories (sold separately), such as a Hue Dimmer Switch, Hue Tap, or Hue Motion Sensor. Pair it for home automation with your existing Nest or SmartThings system. Control your hue lights by connecting the Hue Hub to your router with the included ethernet network cable. This box also includes one Philips Hue Hub, power adapter, manual, and two-year warranty for the full Philips Hue experience
- CROSS-DEVICE COMPATIBILITY: HomeKit compatible iOS 9 or later. iPhone:4, 4S, 5, 5S, 6, 6 Plus, 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max, iPhone Xr, iPod touch: 5th generation.Network Connectivity:Wireless A,Wireless B,Wireless G,Wireless N
- Connect your Home: The brains of the Sengled system, the hub enables you to control up to 64 Sengled Smart lights and accessories with the hub. A hub is necessary to use a voice assistant, like Alexa and Google Assistant
- Easy to Install: Connect the Sengled Smart Hub to your router using the included Ethernet cable and use the in-app guide to set up
- Home Automation: Easily extend your smart home system across every room by connecting Sengled Smart LEDs and accessories to the hub, then automate
- Voice control: Connect the hub to Alexa or Google Assistant-enabled devices and use your voice to control your Sengled Smart LEDs and accessories
- One simple app: Control all your Sengled smart devices using the Sengled Home app (iOS/Android.) Set schedules, group devices and more to control all of your home's Sengled smart products