Physicists being in no way different from the rest of the population have short memories for what is inconvenient. ~ Anthony Standen 1907 – 1993
Archimedes’ finding that the crown was of gold was a discovery; but he invented the method of determining the density of solids. Indeed discoverers must generally be inventors; though inventors are not necessarily discoverers. - William Ramsay 1852 to 1916 Chemist
Cyril Duquet (1841–1922) Canada – Telephone handset.
Theodor Svedberg (1884–1971) Sweden – Analytical ultracentrifuge.
Igor Spassky (born 1926) Russia – Sea Launch platform.
Aurel Persu (1890–1977) Romania – first aerodynamic car aluminum body with wheels included under the body 1922.
Otto Wichterle (1913–1989) Czechoslovakia – soft contact lens.
Colin Murdoch (1929–2008) New Zealand – a.o. Tranquillizer gun disposable hypodermic syringe.
Lloyd Groff Copeman (1865–1956) USA – Electric stove.
Bette Nesmith Graham (1924–1980) USA – Correction fluid Liquid Paper.
John Frederic Daniell (1790–1845) United Kingdom – Daniel cell.
John Bennett Fenn (1917–2010) USA – Electrospray ionization.
Adolf von Baeyer (1835–1917) Germany – a.o. Fluorescein synthetic Indigo dye Phenolphthalein.
Muhammad ibn Jābir al-Harrānī al-Battānī (Albatenius) (853-929) Syria/Turkey – observation tube.
Forrest Parry (1921–2005) USA – Magnetic stripe card.
Roy Plunkett (1910–1994) United States – Teflon.
Donald A. Glaser (1926–2013) USA – Bubble chamber.
William Howard Livens (1889–1964) UK – chemical warfare – Livens Projector.
Robert Goddard (1882–1945) USA – liquid fuel rocket.
Mark Publicover (born 1958) USA – First affordable trampoline safety net enclosure.
John Wesley Hyatt (1837–1920) USA – celluloid manufacturing..
Erhard Kietz (1909–1982) Germany & USA. – signal improvements for video transmissions.
In our work we are always between Scylla and Charybdis; we may fail to abstract enough and miss important physics or we may abstract too much and end up with fictitious objects in our models turning into real monsters that devour us. ~ Murray Gell-Mann b. 1929
Surely it is not knowledge but learning; not owning but earning; not being there but getting there; that gives us the greatest pleasure. ~ Carl Friedrich Gauss 1777 – 1855 - Mathematician and Physicist
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 605 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe and the same number of electrons. - Sir Arthur Eddington 1882 to 1944 Astronomer Physicist Mathematician
Physics is actually too hard for physicists. ~ David Hilbert 1862 to 1943 (Mathematician)
Chemistry is necessarily an experimental science: its conclusions are drawn from data and its principles supported by evidence from facts. ~ Michael Faraday - 1791 to 1867
There are many ways of knocking electrons out of atoms. The simplest is to rub two surfaces together. ~ Fred Hoyle 1915 to 2001
Instead of being the biological center of the Universe I believe our planet is just an assembly station but one with a major advantage over most other places. The constant presence of liquid water almost everywhere on the Earth is a huge advantage for life especially for assembling life into complex forms by the process we call ‘evolution.’ ~ Fred Hoyle 1915 to 2001 - Astrophysicist
- Alta syncs automatically and wirelessly to computers and 200+ leading iOS, Android and Windows devices using Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology. Syncing to computers requires Internet connection and USB port. Syncing to mobile devices requires Bluetooth and Internet connection. Syncing range: 20 feet
- Water Resistance: Alta is sweat, rain, splash proof. You can wear Alta in the shower, but we recommend rinsing and drying it afterwards because it's best for your skin if the band stays clean and dry. Battery life: lasts up to 5 days. Radio transceiver: Bluetooth 4.0
- We recommend charging your device every few days to ensure you are always tracking. Charge time: One to two hours
- Syncs with Windows Vista and later, Mac OS X 10.6 and up, iPhone 4S and later, iPad 3 gen. and later, and leading Android and Windows devices
- See simplified heart rate zones for quickly checking exercise intensity during workouts with PurePulse(TM) continuous, wrist-based heart rate monitoring (no uncomfortable chest strap required)
- Use multi-sport tracking to track runs, cardio, cross-training, biking and more. Effortlessly and automatically record other workouts to your dashboard with SmartTrack
- Enable connected GPS to map your routes and see run stats like pace and duration on display (when your phone is nearby)
- Track steps, distance, calories burned, floors climbed and active minutes. Stay connected with call, text & calendar alerts and notifications from your favorite apps like Gmail, Facebook and more (when phone is nearby).Start a FitStar workout on your wrist and get step-by-step instructions and graphics to ensure you complete each move correctly
- Track steps, distance, calories burned and active minutes
- See stats and time with a bright OLED tap display
- Automatically track how long and how well you sleep, and set a silent, vibrating alarm
- Personalize with interchangeable metal, leather and classic bands (sold separately)
- Get call, text and calendar notifications at a glance (when phone is nearby)