I believe that new mathematical schemata new systems of axioms certainly new systems of mathematical structures will be suggested by the study of the living world. ~ Stan Ulam 1909 – 1984 - Mathematician
A detective with his murder mystery a chemist seeking the structure of a new compound use little of the formal and logical modes of reasoning. Through a series of intuitions surmises fancies they stumble upon the right explanation and have a knack of seizing it when it once comes within reach. ~ Gilbert Lewis 1875 – 1946
Corliss Orville Burandt USA – Variable valve timing.
Vladimir Chelomey (1914–1984) Russia – first space station (Salyut) Proton rocket (the most used heavy lift launch system).
Alfred Binet (1857–1911) France – with his student Théodore Simon (1872–1961) first practical Intelligence test.
Georges Claude (1870–1960) France – neon lamp.
Joseph Swan (1828–1914) UK – Incandescent light bulb.
Leonid Gobyato (1875–1915) Russia – first modern man-portable mortar.
George Ballas (1925–2011) USA – String trimmer.
Ernest Orlando Lawrence (1901–1958) USA – Cyclotron.
Luigi Palmieri (1807–1896) Italy – seismometer.
Oleg Losev (1903–1942) Russia – light-emitting diode crystadine.
Yefim Smolin Russia – table-glass (stakan granyonyi).
James Henry Greathead (1844–1896) South Africa – tunnel boring machine tunnelling shield technique.
Fedor Tokarev (1871–1968) Russia – TT-33 semiautomatic handgun and SVT-40 self-loading rifle.
Elijah McCoy (1843–1929) Canada – Displacement lubricator.
John Heysham Gibbon (1903–1973) USA – Heart-lung machine.
Benjamin Chew Tilghman (1821–1897) USA – sandblasting.
Fe del Mundo (1911–2011) The Philippines – medical incubator made out of bamboo for use in rural communities without electrical power.
Stanislav Brebera (1925–2012) Czech Republic – Semtex explosive.
Joseph Aspdin (1788–1855) UK – Portland cement.
Roy Plunkett (1910–1994) United States – Teflon.
Trial by combat of wits in disputations has no attraction for the seeker after truth; to him the appeal to experiment is the last and only test of the merit of an opinion conjecture or hypotheses. ~ Joseph Mellor - 1869 to 1938
In reality a theory in natural science cannot be without experimental foundations; physics in particular comes from experimental work. ~ Samuel C. C. Ting b. 1936
I accept no principles of physics which are not also accepted in mathematics. ~ René Descartes 1596 to 1650
Suppose we have an unknown number of objects. When counted in threes 2 are left over when counted in fives 3 are left over and when counted in sevens 2 are left over. How many objects are there? ~ Sunzi The Mathematical Classic of Sunzi - Chinese mathematics problem from c. 450 AD
Instead of being the biological center of the Universe I believe our planet is just an assembly station but one with a major advantage over most other places. The constant presence of liquid water almost everywhere on the Earth is a huge advantage for life especially for assembling life into complex forms by the process we call ‘evolution.’ ~ Fred Hoyle 1915 to 2001 - Astrophysicist
Science is the acceptance of what works and the rejection of what does not. That needs more courage than we might think. - Jacob Bronowski 1908 to 1974 Mathematician Biologist
Still I had a lurking question. Would it not be better if one could really ‘see’ whether molecules as complicated as the sterols or strychnine were just as experiment suggested? ~ Dorothy Hodgkin - 1910 to 1984
- Support for 8 devices is enabled at software setup - replaces up to 8 remotes, reducing complexity and clutter in your living room
- Bright color screen shows your channel favorite icons plus commands for easy navigation
- One-touch Activity buttons like "Watch a DVD" automatically switch the right devices to the right settings
- Compatible with 225,000+ devices from 5000+ brands, including devices you own today and add tomorrow
- Simple online setup using your PC or Mac
- VIZIO 2014 version dual side Qwerty keyboard Remote Control. with back-light
- Compatibility: VIZIO 401ia3, 401i-a3, E401ia3, E401i-a3, M321i-A2, M401i-A3, M471i-A2, M501D, M501DA2, M501D-A2, M501dA2R, M501d-A2R, M501i-A2, M551dA2, M551d-A2, M551dA2R, M551d-A2R, M551DAR2, M551D-AR2, M601DA3, M601d-A3, M651dA2, M651d-A2, M651D-A2R, M701DA3, M701d-A3, M801DA3, M801d-A3 LCD TV
- Works with Alexa for voice control
- Use your Smartphone (with available app) or included Harmony Remote for one-touch control of your entertainment system and home automation devices such as Philips Hue lights or Nest Learning Thermostat
- Companion remote includes full featured home entertainment controls including dedicated home automation controls
- Included Harmony Hub lets you control devices hidden behind cabinet doors or walls, including game consoles such as PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360
- Simple setup on computer or the available smartphone app - works with over 270,000 devices, including your TV, satellite or cable box, blu-ray player, Apple TV, Roku, Sonos, game consoles, Philips Hue lights, and more