Dr. Ikemoto repeatedly told me that we should not perform research that simply reproduced somebody else’s results. Rather we should do something unique and new. ~ Shinya Yamanaka 1962 to Present - Stem Cell Biologist
The condition of matter I have dignified by the term Electronic THE ELECTRONIC STATE. What do you think of that? Am I not a bold man ignorant as I am to coin words? ~ Michael Faraday 1791 – 1867
Hyman George Rickover (1900–1986) USA – Nuclear submarine.
Al-Dinawari (828–896) Persia/Iran – more than a hundred plant drugs.
Mikhail Koshkin (1898–1940) Russia – T-34 medium tank the best and most produced tank of World War II.
Aleksandr Loran (1849 – after 1911) Russia – fire fighting foam foam extinguisher.
Georges Lakhovsky (1869–1942) Russia/USA – Multiple Wave Oscillator.
Wallace H. Coulter (1913–1998) USA – Coulter counter (cell biology).
Walter Houser Brattain (1902–1987) USA – co-inventor of the transistor.
Baltzar von Platen (1898–1984) Sweden – gas absorption refrigerator.
Joseph Constantine Carpue (1764–1846) France – rhinoplastic surgery.
Carl Friedrich Claus (c. 1883) Germany – Claus process (petrochemistry).
Akinfiy Demidov (1678–1745) Russia – co-developer of rebar cast iron dome lightning rod (all found in the Leaning Tower of Nevyansk).
Gilles de Roberval (1602–1675) France – Roberval balance.
Francis Rogallo (1912–2009) USA – Rogallo wing.
Charlie Booth (1903–2008) Australia – Starting blocks.
Sidney Rosenthal (1907–1979) USA – Magic Marker.
Henry Perky (1843–1906) USA – shredded wheat.
William Murdoch (1754–1839) Scotland – Gas lighting.
Auguste and Louis Lumière (1862–1954 and 1864–1948 resp.) France – Cinématographe.
Jonas Wenström (1855–1893) Sweden – three-phase electrical power.
Ulugh Beg (1394–1449) Persia/Iran – Fakhri sextant mural sextant.
Before the Copernican revolution it was natural to suppose that God’s purposes were specifically concerned with the earth but now this has become an unplausible hypothesis. If it is the purpose of the Cosmos to evolve mind we must regard it as rather incompetent in having produced so little in such a long time. ~ Bertrand Russell 1872 – 1970 - Mathematician and Philosopher
Did the genome of our cave-dwelling predecessors contain a set or sets of genes which enable modern man to compose music of infinite complexity and write novels with profound meaning? …It looks as though the early Homo was already provided with the intellectual potential which was in great excess of what was needed to cope with the environment of his time.” - Susumu Ohno 1928 to 2000 Geneticist
I believe that thirty million of these animalcules together would not take up as much room or be as big as a coarse grain of sand. ~ Antonie van Leeuwenhoek 1632 to 1723 - Biologist
Pure mathematics exist by themselves; no will produces them no power can limit them. They are eternal laws that no man can infringe and from which it is impossible to escape. ~ S. Sandaram Iyer 1883 - Philosopher
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 605 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe and the same number of electrons. - Sir Arthur Eddington 1882 to 1944 Astronomer Physicist Mathematician
This most beautiful system of the sun planets and comets could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. And if the fixed stars are the centres of other like systems these being formed by the like wise counsel must be all subject to the dominion of One; especially since the light of the fixed stars is of the same nature with the light of the sun. ~ Isaac Newton 1642 to 1727
We were a polite society and I expected to lead a quiet life teaching mechanics and listening to my senior colleagues gently but obliquely poking fun at one another. This dream of somnolent peace vanished very quickly when (Ernest) Rutherford came to Cambridge. Rutherford was the only person I have met who immediately impressed me as a great man. He was a big man and made a big noise and he seemed to enjoy every minute of his life. I remember that when transatlantic broadcasting first came in Rutherford told us at a dinner in Hall how he had spoken into a microphone to America and had been heard all over the continent. One of the bolder of our Fellows said: “Surely you did not need to use apparatus for that.” ~ Geoffrey Fellows 1871 to 1937
- Alta syncs automatically and wirelessly to computers and 200+ leading iOS, Android and Windows devices using Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology. Syncing to computers requires Internet connection and USB port. Syncing to mobile devices requires Bluetooth and Internet connection. Syncing range: 20 feet
- Water Resistance: Alta is sweat, rain, splash proof. You can wear Alta in the shower, but we recommend rinsing and drying it afterwards because it's best for your skin if the band stays clean and dry. Battery life: lasts up to 5 days. Radio transceiver: Bluetooth 4.0
- We recommend charging your device every few days to ensure you are always tracking. Charge time: One to two hours
- Syncs with Windows Vista and later, Mac OS X 10.6 and up, iPhone 4S and later, iPad 3 gen. and later, and leading Android and Windows devices
- See simplified heart rate zones for quickly checking exercise intensity during workouts with PurePulse(TM) continuous, wrist-based heart rate monitoring (no uncomfortable chest strap required)
- Use multi-sport tracking to track runs, cardio, cross-training, biking and more. Effortlessly and automatically record other workouts to your dashboard with SmartTrack
- Enable connected GPS to map your routes and see run stats like pace and duration on display (when your phone is nearby)
- Track steps, distance, calories burned, floors climbed and active minutes. Stay connected with call, text & calendar alerts and notifications from your favorite apps like Gmail, Facebook and more (when phone is nearby).Start a FitStar workout on your wrist and get step-by-step instructions and graphics to ensure you complete each move correctly
- Track steps, distance, calories burned and active minutes
- See stats and time with a bright OLED tap display
- Automatically track how long and how well you sleep, and set a silent, vibrating alarm
- Personalize with interchangeable metal, leather and classic bands (sold separately)
- Get call, text and calendar notifications at a glance (when phone is nearby)