Geometry is one and eternal shining in the mind of God. That men share in it is among the reasons that Man is the image of God. ~ Johannes Kepler 1571 – 1630 Mathematician and Astronomer
Suppose we have an unknown number of objects. When counted in threes 2 are left over when counted in fives 3 are left over and when counted in sevens 2 are left over. How many objects are there? ~ Sunzi The Mathematical Classic of Sunzi - Chinese mathematics problem from c. 450 AD
Kary Mullis (born 1944) USA – PCR.
Rudolf Hell (1901–2002) Germany – the Hellschreiber.
Frank Eugene Austin (1873–1964) USA – first patented ant farm.
Toshitada Doi (born 1943) Japan together with Joop Sinjou Netherlands – Compact disc.
Joseph Plateau (1801–1883) Belgium – phenakistiscope (stroboscope).
Adolphe Sax (1814–1894) Belgium – saxophone.
Nikolay Slavyanov (1854–1897) Russia – shielded metal arc welding.
Daniel David Palmer (1845–1913) Canada – chiropractic.
John McAdam (1756–1836) Scotland – improved "macadam" road surface.
Giovanni Caselli (1815–1891) Italy/France – Pantelegraph.
Federico Faggin (born 1941) Italy – microprocessor.
George Pullman (1831–1897) USA – Pullman sleep wagon.
Nasīr al-Dīn al-Tūsī (1201–1274) Persia/Iran – observatory Tusi-couple.
Franc Trkman (1903–1978) Slovenia – electrical switches accessories for opening windows.
Robert Hooke (1635–1703) UK – balance wheel iris diaphragm acoustic telephone.
Nikola Tesla (1856–1943) Croatia/Serbia – induction motor high-voltage / high-frequency power experiments the transmission of electrical power.
Henry Shrapnel (1761–1842) UK – Shrapnel shell ammunition.
Bob Kahn (born 1938) together with Vint Cerf (1943–) USA – Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
John Harrison (1693–1776) UK – marine chronometer.
Ridgway Banks inventor of the Banks Engine a Nitinol based solid state heat engine.
By ‘life ’ we mean a thing that can nourish itself and grow and decay. ~ Aristotle 384 BC to 322 BC - Scientist Philosopher
The literary convention that numbers less than 10 should be given in words is often highly unsuitable in mathematics… The excessive use of the word forms is regrettably spreading at the present time. ~ J.E. Littlewood 1885 – 1977 - Mathematician
I think it would be quite wrong to suggest that my colleagues have rejected me or that I reject them. Quite the reverse. It’s only a small vociferous group – mainly biologists I’m sorry to say – that go beyond ordinary scientific criticism and start becoming personal. ~ James Lovelock 1919 – present - Gaia Theorist Inventor Scientific Polymath
The black holes of nature are the most perfect macroscopic objects there are in the universe: the only elements in their construction are our concepts of space and time. - Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar 1910 to 1995 Astrophysicist
I believe that new mathematical schemata new systems of axioms certainly new systems of mathematical structures will be suggested by the study of the living world. ~ Stan Ulam 1909 – 1984 - Mathematician
We cannot define anything precisely! If we attempt to we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers who sit opposite each other one saying to the other ‘You don’t know what you are talking about!’ The second one says ‘What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you?’ and so on. ~ Richard Feynman 1918 to 1988
In reality a theory in natural science cannot be without experimental foundations; physics in particular comes from experimental work. ~ Samuel C. C. Ting b. 1936
- Alta syncs automatically and wirelessly to computers and 200+ leading iOS, Android and Windows devices using Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology. Syncing to computers requires Internet connection and USB port. Syncing to mobile devices requires Bluetooth and Internet connection. Syncing range: 20 feet
- Water Resistance: Alta is sweat, rain, splash proof. You can wear Alta in the shower, but we recommend rinsing and drying it afterwards because it's best for your skin if the band stays clean and dry. Battery life: lasts up to 5 days. Radio transceiver: Bluetooth 4.0
- We recommend charging your device every few days to ensure you are always tracking. Charge time: One to two hours
- Syncs with Windows Vista and later, Mac OS X 10.6 and up, iPhone 4S and later, iPad 3 gen. and later, and leading Android and Windows devices
- See simplified heart rate zones for quickly checking exercise intensity during workouts with PurePulse(TM) continuous, wrist-based heart rate monitoring (no uncomfortable chest strap required)
- Use multi-sport tracking to track runs, cardio, cross-training, biking and more. Effortlessly and automatically record other workouts to your dashboard with SmartTrack
- Enable connected GPS to map your routes and see run stats like pace and duration on display (when your phone is nearby)
- Track steps, distance, calories burned, floors climbed and active minutes. Stay connected with call, text & calendar alerts and notifications from your favorite apps like Gmail, Facebook and more (when phone is nearby).Start a FitStar workout on your wrist and get step-by-step instructions and graphics to ensure you complete each move correctly
- Track steps, distance, calories burned and active minutes
- See stats and time with a bright OLED tap display
- Automatically track how long and how well you sleep, and set a silent, vibrating alarm
- Personalize with interchangeable metal, leather and classic bands (sold separately)
- Get call, text and calendar notifications at a glance (when phone is nearby)