I have eaten 2/3 of 1/3 of my food ration. 7 remains. How much food did I start with? ~ Cuneiform Babylonian mathematics exercise 1900 – 1600 BC
A theory is a supposition which we hope to be true a hypothesis is a supposition which we expect to be useful; fictions belong to the realm of art; if made to intrude elsewhere they become either make-believes or mistakes. - George Johnstone Stoney 1826 to 1911 Physicist
Elmer Ambrose Sperry (1860–1930) USA – gyroscope-guided automatic pilot.
Robert Goddard (1882–1945) USA – liquid fuel rocket.
Henry Shrapnel (1761–1842) UK – Shrapnel shell ammunition.
Gleb Kotelnikov (1872–1944) Russia – knapsack parachute drogue parachute.
Norman Wilkinson (1878–1971) UK – Dazzle camouflage.
Gavriil Adrianovich Tikhov (1875–1960) Russia – feathering spectrograph.
Anastase Dragomir (1896–1966) Romania – Ejection seat.
Mutsuo Sugiura (1918–1986) China – Esophagogastroduodenoscope.
Jamshīd al-Kāshī (c. 1380–1429) Persia/Iran – plate of conjunctions analog planetary computer.
Philo Farnsworth (1906–1971) USA – a.o. electronic television.
Humphry Davy (1778–1829) UK – Davy miners lamp.
Bette Nesmith Graham (1924–1980) USA – Correction fluid Liquid Paper.
Fritz Klatte (1880–1934) Germany – vinyl chloride forerunner to polyvinyl chloride.
Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit (1686–1736) The Netherlands – Fahrenheit temperature scale Mercury-in-glass thermometer.
Bartolomeo Cristofori (1655–1731) Italy – piano.
Jonas Wenström (1855–1893) Sweden – three-phase electrical power.
Raul Cuero (born 1948) Buenaventura Colombia see Inventions and patents list.
György Gömöri (1904–1957) Hungary / USA– Gömöri trichrome stain Gömöri methenamine silver stain (histology).
Henri Giffard (1825–1882) France – powered airship injector.
Muhammad ibn Jābir al-Harrānī al-Battānī (Albatenius) (853-929) Syria/Turkey – observation tube.
Pierre Curie voluntarily exposed his arm to the action of radium for several hours. This resulted in damage resembling a burn that developed progressively and required several months to heal. Henri Becquerel had by accident a similar burn as a result of carrying in his vest pocket a glass tube containing radium salt. He came to tell us of this evil effect of radium exclaiming in a manner at once delighted and annoyed: “I love it but I owe it a grudge.” - Marie Curie 1867 to 1934 Chemist Physicist
There may be babblers wholly ignorant of mathematics who dare to condemn my hypothesis upon the authority of some part of the Bible twisted to suit their purpose. I value them not and scorn their unfounded judgment. ~ Nicolaus Copernicus 1473 – 1543 Mathematician and Astronomer
By ‘life ’ we mean a thing that can nourish itself and grow and decay. - Aristotle 384 BC to 322 BC Scientist Philosopher
Why the dinosaurs died out is not known but it is supposed to be because they had minute brains and devoted themselves to the growth of weapons of offense in the shape of numerous horns. ~ Bertrand Russell 1872 – 1970 - Mathematician and Philosopher
Chemistry begins in the stars. The stars are the source of the chemical elements which are the building blocks of matter and the core of our subject. ~ Peter Atkins - 1940 to present
Surely it is not knowledge but learning; not owning but earning; not being there but getting there; that gives us the greatest pleasure. ~ Carl Friedrich Gauss 1777 – 1855 - Mathematician and Physicist
The literary convention that numbers less than 10 should be given in words is often highly unsuitable in mathematics… The excessive use of the word forms is regrettably spreading at the present time. ~ J.E. Littlewood 1885 – 1977 - Mathematician
- Alta syncs automatically and wirelessly to computers and 200+ leading iOS, Android and Windows devices using Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology. Syncing to computers requires Internet connection and USB port. Syncing to mobile devices requires Bluetooth and Internet connection. Syncing range: 20 feet
- Water Resistance: Alta is sweat, rain, splash proof. You can wear Alta in the shower, but we recommend rinsing and drying it afterwards because it's best for your skin if the band stays clean and dry. Battery life: lasts up to 5 days. Radio transceiver: Bluetooth 4.0
- We recommend charging your device every few days to ensure you are always tracking. Charge time: One to two hours
- Syncs with Windows Vista and later, Mac OS X 10.6 and up, iPhone 4S and later, iPad 3 gen. and later, and leading Android and Windows devices
- See simplified heart rate zones for quickly checking exercise intensity during workouts with PurePulse(TM) continuous, wrist-based heart rate monitoring (no uncomfortable chest strap required)
- Use multi-sport tracking to track runs, cardio, cross-training, biking and more. Effortlessly and automatically record other workouts to your dashboard with SmartTrack
- Enable connected GPS to map your routes and see run stats like pace and duration on display (when your phone is nearby)
- Track steps, distance, calories burned, floors climbed and active minutes. Stay connected with call, text & calendar alerts and notifications from your favorite apps like Gmail, Facebook and more (when phone is nearby).Start a FitStar workout on your wrist and get step-by-step instructions and graphics to ensure you complete each move correctly
- Track steps, distance, calories burned and active minutes
- See stats and time with a bright OLED tap display
- Automatically track how long and how well you sleep, and set a silent, vibrating alarm
- Personalize with interchangeable metal, leather and classic bands (sold separately)
- Get call, text and calendar notifications at a glance (when phone is nearby)