In my experience most mathematicians are intellectually lazy and especially dislike reading experimental papers. ~ Francis Crick 1916 – 2004 - Molecular Biologist
Macroscopic objects as we see them all around us are governed by a variety of forces derived from a variety of approximations to a variety of physical theories. In contrast the only elements in the construction of black holes are our basic concepts of space and time. They are thus almost by definition the most perfect macroscopic objects there are in the universe. ~ Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar 1910 to 1995
Bernhard Schmidt (1879–1935) Estonia/Germany – Schmidt camera.
Michael Faraday (1791–1867) UK – electric transformer electric motor.
Muhammad ibn Jābir al-Harrānī al-Battānī (Albatenius) (853-929) Syria/Turkey – observation tube.
Fe del Mundo (1911–2011) The Philippines – medical incubator made out of bamboo for use in rural communities without electrical power.
Gilles Saint-Hilaire (born 1948) Canada – Quasiturbine Qurbine.
Bob Kahn (born 1938) together with Vint Cerf (1943–) USA – Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
Donát Bánki (1859–1922) Hungary – inventor of the carburetor for the stationary engine.
Joseph Plateau (1801–1883) Belgium – phenakistiscope (stroboscope).
Friedrich Soennecken (1848–1919) Germany – Ring binder Hole punch.
Gregory Goodwin Pincus (1903–1967) together with Min Chueh Chang (1908–1991) USA/China – Combined oral contraceptive pill.
Alexandru Ciurcu (1854–1922) Romania – Reaction engine.
Willard Boyle (1924–2011) together with George E. Smith (1930–) USA – Charge-coupled device (CCD).
John J. Montgomery (1858–1911) USA – heavier-than-air gliders.
Benoît Fourneyron (1802–1867) France – water turbine.
James Gosling (born 1955) USA – Java (programming language).
Gavriil Adrianovich Tikhov (1875–1960) Russia – feathering spectrograph.
Seiichi Miyake (inv. 1965) Japan – Tactile paving.
Jacob Rabinow (1910–1999) USA – a.o. Magnetic particle clutch various Phonograph-related patents.
Robert N. Hall (born 1919) USA – a.o. Semiconductor laser.
Wilhelm Schlenk (1879–1943) Germany – Schlenk flask (chemistry).
Physicists being in no way different from the rest of the population have short memories for what is inconvenient. ~ Anthony Standen 1907 – 1993
All increasing or dominant species (and it is from these that new species arise) vary considerably in all their parts organs and faculties in every generation. ~ Alfred Russel Wallace 1823 to 1913 - Zoologist Evolutionary Biologist
This is an era of specialists each of whom sees his own problem and is unaware of or intolerant of the larger frame into which it fits. ~ Rachel Carson 1907 to 1964 - Marine Biologist
I believe that new mathematical schemata new systems of axioms certainly new systems of mathematical structures will be suggested by the study of the living world. ~ Stan Ulam 1909 – 1984 - Mathematician
I have eaten 2/3 of 1/3 of my food ration. 7 remains. How much food did I start with? ~ Cuneiform Babylonian mathematics exercise 1900 – 1600 BC
Benjamin Franklin performed a beautiful experiment using surfactants; on a pond at Clapham Common he poured a small amount of oleic acid a natural surfactant which tends to form a dense film at the water-air interface. He measured the volume required to cover all the pond. Knowing the area he then knew the height of the film something like three nanometers in our current units. ~ Pierre-Gilles de Gennes 1932 to 2007
We think there is color we think there is sweet we think there is bitter but in reality there are atoms and a void. ~ Democritus c. 460 – c. 370 BC
- Support for 8 devices is enabled at software setup - replaces up to 8 remotes, reducing complexity and clutter in your living room
- Bright color screen shows your channel favorite icons plus commands for easy navigation
- One-touch Activity buttons like "Watch a DVD" automatically switch the right devices to the right settings
- Compatible with 225,000+ devices from 5000+ brands, including devices you own today and add tomorrow
- Simple online setup using your PC or Mac
- VIZIO 2014 version dual side Qwerty keyboard Remote Control. with back-light
- Compatibility: VIZIO 401ia3, 401i-a3, E401ia3, E401i-a3, M321i-A2, M401i-A3, M471i-A2, M501D, M501DA2, M501D-A2, M501dA2R, M501d-A2R, M501i-A2, M551dA2, M551d-A2, M551dA2R, M551d-A2R, M551DAR2, M551D-AR2, M601DA3, M601d-A3, M651dA2, M651d-A2, M651D-A2R, M701DA3, M701d-A3, M801DA3, M801d-A3 LCD TV
- Works with Alexa for voice control
- Use your Smartphone (with available app) or included Harmony Remote for one-touch control of your entertainment system and home automation devices such as Philips Hue lights or Nest Learning Thermostat
- Companion remote includes full featured home entertainment controls including dedicated home automation controls
- Included Harmony Hub lets you control devices hidden behind cabinet doors or walls, including game consoles such as PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360
- Simple setup on computer or the available smartphone app - works with over 270,000 devices, including your TV, satellite or cable box, blu-ray player, Apple TV, Roku, Sonos, game consoles, Philips Hue lights, and more