Benjamin Franklin performed a beautiful experiment using surfactants; on a pond at Clapham Common he poured a small amount of oleic acid a natural surfactant which tends to form a dense film at the water-air interface. He measured the volume required to cover all the pond. Knowing the area he then knew the height of the film something like three nanometers in our current units. ~ Pierre-Gilles de Gennes 1932 to 2007
A theory is a supposition which we hope to be true a hypothesis is a supposition which we expect to be useful; fictions belong to the realm of art; if made to intrude elsewhere they become either make-believes or mistakes. - George Johnstone Stoney 1826 to 1911 Physicist
Nikolai Polikarpov (1892–1944) Russia – Po-series aircraft including Polikarpov Po-2 Kukuruznik (world's most produced biplane).
Samuel Face (1923–2001) USA – concrete flatness/levelness technology; Lightning Switch.
Richard Cannon (born 1954) USA – Electrical panel lockout.
Ulugh Beg (1394–1449) Persia/Iran – Fakhri sextant mural sextant.
Pyotr Kapitsa (1894–1984) Russia – first ultrastrong magnetic field creating techniques basic low-temperature physics inventions.
Richard T. Whitcomb (1921–2009) USA – Supercritical airfoil Winglet.
Michael Grätzel (born 1944) Germany/Switzerland– a.o. Dye-sensitized solar cell.
Fedor Tokarev (1871–1968) Russia – TT-33 semiautomatic handgun and SVT-40 self-loading rifle.
Franz Joseph Emil Fischer (1877–1947) together with Hans Tropsch (1889–1935) Germany – Fischer–Tropsch process (refinery process).
Pavel Molchanov (1893–1941) Russia – radiosonde.
Jacob Rabinow (1910–1999) USA – a.o. Magnetic particle clutch various Phonograph-related patents.
Fujio Masuoka (1943–) Japan – Flash memory.
Norman Joseph Woodland (1921–2012) together with Bernard Silver (1924–1963) USA – Barcode.
Alexander Sablukov (1783–1857) Russia – centrifugal fan.
Alexander Bereznyak (1912–1974) Russia – first rocket-powered fighter aircraft BI-1 (together with Isaev).
Christoph Gerber (?–) with Calvin Quate (1923–) and with Gerd Binnig (1947–) Germany/USA/Switzerland – Atomic force microscope.
Garrett A. Morgan (1877–1963) USA – inventor of the smoke hood.
Léon Serpollet (1858–1907) France – Flash boiler Gardner-Serpollet steam car.
Benoît Fourneyron (1802–1867) France – water turbine.
Francis Rogallo (1912–2009) USA – Rogallo wing.
There may be babblers wholly ignorant of mathematics who dare to condemn my hypothesis upon the authority of some part of the Bible twisted to suit their purpose. I value them not and scorn their unfounded judgment. - Nicolaus Copernicus 1473 – 1543 Astronomer Mathematician
I believe that thirty million of these animalcules together would not take up as much room or be as big as a coarse grain of sand. ~ Antonie van Leeuwenhoek 1632 to 1723 - Biologist
Instead of being the biological center of the Universe I believe our planet is just an assembly station but one with a major advantage over most other places. The constant presence of liquid water almost everywhere on the Earth is a huge advantage for life especially for assembling life into complex forms by the process we call ‘evolution.’ ~ Fred Hoyle 1915 to 2001 - Astrophysicist
All of physics is either impossible or trivial. It is impossible until you understand it and then it becomes trivial. ~ Ernest Rutherford 1871 to 1937
A fact acquires its true and full value only through the idea which is developed from it. - Justus von Liebig 1803 to 1873 Chemist
The development of biology is going to destroy to some extent our traditional grounds for ethical belief and it is not easy to see what to put in their place. ~ Francis Crick 1916 – 2004 Molecular Biologist
The country which is in advance of the rest of the world in chemistry will also be foremost in wealth and in general prosperity. ~ William Ramsay - 1852 to 1916
- Support for 8 devices is enabled at software setup - replaces up to 8 remotes, reducing complexity and clutter in your living room
- Bright color screen shows your channel favorite icons plus commands for easy navigation
- One-touch Activity buttons like "Watch a DVD" automatically switch the right devices to the right settings
- Compatible with 225,000+ devices from 5000+ brands, including devices you own today and add tomorrow
- Simple online setup using your PC or Mac
- VIZIO 2014 version dual side Qwerty keyboard Remote Control. with back-light
- Compatibility: VIZIO 401ia3, 401i-a3, E401ia3, E401i-a3, M321i-A2, M401i-A3, M471i-A2, M501D, M501DA2, M501D-A2, M501dA2R, M501d-A2R, M501i-A2, M551dA2, M551d-A2, M551dA2R, M551d-A2R, M551DAR2, M551D-AR2, M601DA3, M601d-A3, M651dA2, M651d-A2, M651D-A2R, M701DA3, M701d-A3, M801DA3, M801d-A3 LCD TV
- Works with Alexa for voice control
- Use your Smartphone (with available app) or included Harmony Remote for one-touch control of your entertainment system and home automation devices such as Philips Hue lights or Nest Learning Thermostat
- Companion remote includes full featured home entertainment controls including dedicated home automation controls
- Included Harmony Hub lets you control devices hidden behind cabinet doors or walls, including game consoles such as PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360
- Simple setup on computer or the available smartphone app - works with over 270,000 devices, including your TV, satellite or cable box, blu-ray player, Apple TV, Roku, Sonos, game consoles, Philips Hue lights, and more