Find the number such that if the whole of it is added to one-seventh of it the result will be nineteen. ~ The Ahmes Papyrus Ancient Egyptian mathematics problem from c. 2200 BC
A fact acquires its true and full value only through the idea which is developed from it. ~ Justus von Liebig - 1803 to 1873
Ed Lowe (1920–1995) USA – Cat litter.
Ivan Knunyants (1906–1990) Armenia/Russia – capron Nylon 6 polyamide-6.
Mark Serrurier (1904–1988) USA – Serrurier truss for Optical telescopes.
Charles Goodyear (1800–1860) USA – vulcanization of rubber.
Robert Goddard (1882–1945) USA – liquid fuel rocket.
Walton Musser (1909–1998) USA – Harmonic drive gear.
Helge Palmcrantz (1842–1880) Sweden – the multi-barrel lever-actuated machine gun.
Eugen Baumann (1846–1896) Germany – PVC.
Mikhail Pomortsev (1851–1916) Russia – nephoscope.
James McLurkin (born 1972) USA – Ant robotics (robotics).
Lucio Bini (1908–1964) together with Ugo Cerletti (1877–1963) Italy – Electroconvulsive therapy.
Irving Langmuir (1851–1957) USA – gas filled incandescent light bulb hydrogen welding.
Richard Cannon (born 1954) USA – Electrical panel lockout.
Mary Anderson (1866–1953) United States – windshield wiper blade.
Johann Maria Farina (1685–1766) Germany; Eau de Cologne.
Alexey Dushkin (1904–1977) Russia – deep column station.
Ugo Cerletti (1877–1963) together with Lucio Bini (1908–1964) Italy – Electroconvulsive therapy.
Rudolf Hell (1901–2002) Germany – the Hellschreiber.
William Saville-Kent (1845–1908) UK/Australia – Pearl culture see also Mikimoto Kōkichi.
James Homer Wright (1869–1928) USA – Wright's stain (histology).
It is thus probable that germs of the lowest organisms known to us are continually being carried away from the earth and the other planets upon which they exist. As seeds in general so most of these spores thus carried away will no doubt meet death in the cold infinite space of the universe. Yet a small number of spores will fall on some other world and may there be able to spread life if conditions be suitable. ~ Svante Arrhenius 1859 to 1927 - Physical Chemist
The time however has arrived when biology must like the other sciences make a fresh start in a purely speculative direction free from all entanglement with medical or any other art. ~ Auguste Compte 1798 to 1857 - Philosopher of Science
There are many ways of knocking electrons out of atoms. The simplest is to rub two surfaces together. ~ Fred Hoyle 1915 to 2001
Chemistry begins in the stars. The stars are the source of the chemical elements which are the building blocks of matter and the core of our subject. ~ Peter Atkins - 1940 to present
Simple laws can very well describe complex structures. The miracle is not the complexity of our world but the simplicity of the equations describing that complexity. ~ Sander Bais b. 1945 - Theoretical Physicist
A theory is a supposition which we hope to be true a hypothesis is a supposition which we expect to be useful; fictions belong to the realm of art; if made to intrude elsewhere they become either make-believes or mistakes. - George Johnstone Stoney 1826 to 1911 Physicist
Before the Copernican revolution it was natural to suppose that God’s purposes were specifically concerned with the earth but now this has become an unplausible hypothesis. If it is the purpose of the Cosmos to evolve mind we must regard it as rather incompetent in having produced so little in such a long time. ~ Bertrand Russell 1872 – 1970 - Mathematician and Philosopher
- Support for 8 devices is enabled at software setup - replaces up to 8 remotes, reducing complexity and clutter in your living room
- Bright color screen shows your channel favorite icons plus commands for easy navigation
- One-touch Activity buttons like "Watch a DVD" automatically switch the right devices to the right settings
- Compatible with 225,000+ devices from 5000+ brands, including devices you own today and add tomorrow
- Simple online setup using your PC or Mac
- VIZIO 2014 version dual side Qwerty keyboard Remote Control. with back-light
- Compatibility: VIZIO 401ia3, 401i-a3, E401ia3, E401i-a3, M321i-A2, M401i-A3, M471i-A2, M501D, M501DA2, M501D-A2, M501dA2R, M501d-A2R, M501i-A2, M551dA2, M551d-A2, M551dA2R, M551d-A2R, M551DAR2, M551D-AR2, M601DA3, M601d-A3, M651dA2, M651d-A2, M651D-A2R, M701DA3, M701d-A3, M801DA3, M801d-A3 LCD TV
- Works with Alexa for voice control
- Use your Smartphone (with available app) or included Harmony Remote for one-touch control of your entertainment system and home automation devices such as Philips Hue lights or Nest Learning Thermostat
- Companion remote includes full featured home entertainment controls including dedicated home automation controls
- Included Harmony Hub lets you control devices hidden behind cabinet doors or walls, including game consoles such as PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360
- Simple setup on computer or the available smartphone app - works with over 270,000 devices, including your TV, satellite or cable box, blu-ray player, Apple TV, Roku, Sonos, game consoles, Philips Hue lights, and more