Nearly 2.5 billion years of prokaryotic cells and nothing else – two-thirds of life’s history in stasis at the lowest level of recorded complexity… Why did life remain at stage 1 for two-thirds of its history if complexity offers such benefits? ~ Stephen Jay Gould 1941 to 2002 - Paleontologist
It does not help that some politicians and journalists assume the public is interested only in those aspects of science that promise immediate practical applications to technology or medicine. - Steven Weinberg 1933 to present Theoretical Physicist
Marcellin Berthelot (1827–1907) France – Berthelot's reagent (chemistry).
Yuri Nikolaevich Denisyuk (1927–2006) Russia – 3D holography.
Arnold O. Beckman (1900–2004) USA – electric pH meter.
Aeneas Coffey (1780–1852) Ireland – heat exchanger Coffey still.
Emmett Chapman (1936–) US – Chapman Stick.
Bela Schick (1877–1967) Hungary – diphtheria test.
George Crum (1822–1914) USA – potato chips.
Yoshiyuki Sankai (c. 1957–) Japan – Robotic exoskeleton for motion support (medicine).
Alexander Sablukov (1783–1857) Russia – centrifugal fan.
Joseph Aspdin (1788–1855) UK – Portland cement.
Leland Clark (1918–2005) USA – Clark electrode (medicine).
Hugo Schiff (1834–1915) Germany – Schiff test (histology).
Richard Cannon (born 1954) USA – Electrical panel lockout.
Nick Sheridon (1928–1962) USA – Electronic paper.
Andrew Kay (born 1919) USA – Digital voltmeter.
Hasan al-Rammah (fl.1270s) Syria – rocket-propelled torpedo.
Ross Granville Harrison (1870–1959) USA – first successful animal Tissue culture Cell culture.
Marc Seguin (1786–1875) France – wire-cable suspension bridge.
William Crookes (1832–1919) UK – Crookes radiometer Crookes tube.
Vladimir Simonov (born 1935) Russia – APS Underwater Assault Rifle SPP-1 underwater pistol.
Archimedes’ finding that the crown was of gold was a discovery; but he invented the method of determining the density of solids. Indeed discoverers must generally be inventors; though inventors are not necessarily discoverers. - William Ramsay 1852 to 1916 Chemist
Before the Copernican revolution it was natural to suppose that God’s purposes were specifically concerned with the earth but now this has become an unplausible hypothesis. If it is the purpose of the Cosmos to evolve mind we must regard it as rather incompetent in having produced so little in such a long time. ~ Bertrand Russell 1872 – 1970 - Mathematician and Philosopher
The development of biology is going to destroy to some extent our traditional grounds for ethical belief and it is not easy to see what to put in their place. ~ Francis Crick 1916 – 2004 Molecular Biologist
Understanding the history of matter and searching for its most interesting forms such as galaxies stars planets and life seems a suitable use for our intelligence. - Robert Kirshner 1949 to present Astronomer
I have eaten 2/3 of 1/3 of my food ration. 7 remains. How much food did I start with? ~ Cuneiform Babylonian mathematics exercise 1900 – 1600 BC
In our work we are always between Scylla and Charybdis; we may fail to abstract enough and miss important physics or we may abstract too much and end up with fictitious objects in our models turning into real monsters that devour us. ~ Murray Gell-Mann b. 1929
Physics is littered with the corpses of dead unified field theories. ~ Freeman Dyson b. 1923
- Alta syncs automatically and wirelessly to computers and 200+ leading iOS, Android and Windows devices using Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology. Syncing to computers requires Internet connection and USB port. Syncing to mobile devices requires Bluetooth and Internet connection. Syncing range: 20 feet
- Water Resistance: Alta is sweat, rain, splash proof. You can wear Alta in the shower, but we recommend rinsing and drying it afterwards because it's best for your skin if the band stays clean and dry. Battery life: lasts up to 5 days. Radio transceiver: Bluetooth 4.0
- We recommend charging your device every few days to ensure you are always tracking. Charge time: One to two hours
- Syncs with Windows Vista and later, Mac OS X 10.6 and up, iPhone 4S and later, iPad 3 gen. and later, and leading Android and Windows devices
- See simplified heart rate zones for quickly checking exercise intensity during workouts with PurePulse(TM) continuous, wrist-based heart rate monitoring (no uncomfortable chest strap required)
- Use multi-sport tracking to track runs, cardio, cross-training, biking and more. Effortlessly and automatically record other workouts to your dashboard with SmartTrack
- Enable connected GPS to map your routes and see run stats like pace and duration on display (when your phone is nearby)
- Track steps, distance, calories burned, floors climbed and active minutes. Stay connected with call, text & calendar alerts and notifications from your favorite apps like Gmail, Facebook and more (when phone is nearby).Start a FitStar workout on your wrist and get step-by-step instructions and graphics to ensure you complete each move correctly
- Track steps, distance, calories burned and active minutes
- See stats and time with a bright OLED tap display
- Automatically track how long and how well you sleep, and set a silent, vibrating alarm
- Personalize with interchangeable metal, leather and classic bands (sold separately)
- Get call, text and calendar notifications at a glance (when phone is nearby)