There is no law except the law that there is no law. - John Archibald Wheeler 1911 to 2008 Theoretical Physicist
What exactly is mathematics? Many have tried but nobody has really succeeded in defining mathematics; it is always something else. Roughly speaking people know that it deals with numbers figures with relations operations and that its formal procedures involving axioms proofs lemmas theorems have not changed since the time of Archimedes. ~ Stan Ulam 1909 – 1984 - Mathematician
Joseph Plateau (1801–1883) Belgium – phenakistiscope (stroboscope).
Granville Woods (1856–1910) USA – the Synchronous Multiplex Railway Telegraph.
Rachel Fuller Brown (1898–1980) USA – Nystatin the world's first antifungal antibiotic.
Banū Mūsā brothers Muhammad (c. 800–873) Ahmad (803–873) Al-Hasan (810–873) Iraq – mechanical trick devices hurricane lamp self-trimming and self-feeding lamp gas mask clamshell grab fail-safe system mechanical musical instrument automatic flute player programmable machine.
Roxey Ann Caplin (1793–1888) UK – Corset.
Norman Holter (1914–1983) USA – Holter monitor.
Charles Babbage (1791–1871) UK – analytical engine (semi-automatic).
George Cayley (1773–1857) UK – glider tension-spoke wheels Caterpillar track.
Aleksandr Stoletov (1839–1896) Russia – first solar cell based on the outer photoelectric effect.
Helge Palmcrantz (1842–1880) Sweden – the multi-barrel lever-actuated machine gun.
Sir Henry Cole (1808–1882) UK – Christmas card.
Vera Mukhina (1889–1953) Russia – welded sculpture.
Josip Belušić (1847–?) Croatia – electric speedometer.
Alexander Popov (1859–1906) Russia – lightning detector (the first lightning prediction system and radio receiver) co-inventor of radio.
Aleksandr Porokhovschikov (1892–1941) Russia – Vezdekhod (the first prototype tank or tankette and the first caterpillar amphibious ATV).
Aaron D. O'Connell (born 1981) USA – first Quantum machine.
Boris Mamyrin (1919–2007) Russia – reflectron (ion mirror).
George Constantinescu (1881–1965) Romania – creator of the theory of sonics a new branch of continuum mechanics.
Bernhard Schmidt (1879–1935) Estonia/Germany – Schmidt camera.
Friedrich Bergius (1884–1949) Germany – Bergius process (synthetic fuel from coal).
Things are as they are because they were as they were. - Thomas Gold 1920 to present Astrophysicist
Division is esteemed one of the busiest operations of Arithmetic and such as requireth a mind not wandering or settled upon other matters. ~ Thomas Hylles The arte of vulgar arithmeticke 1600 - Mathematician
Archimedes’ finding that the crown was of gold was a discovery; but he invented the method of determining the density of solids. Indeed discoverers must generally be inventors; though inventors are not necessarily discoverers. - William Ramsay 1852 to 1916 Chemist
The invention of logarithms came to the world as a bolt from the blue. No previous work had led up to it… It stands isolated breaking in upon human thought abruptly without borrowing from the work of other intellects or following known lines of mathematical thought. ~ John Moulton 1844 – 1921 - Mathematician
The literary convention that numbers less than 10 should be given in words is often highly unsuitable in mathematics… The excessive use of the word forms is regrettably spreading at the present time. ~ J.E. Littlewood 1885 – 1977 - Mathematician
Find the number such that if the whole of it is added to one-seventh of it the result will be nineteen. ~ The Ahmes Papyrus Ancient Egyptian mathematics problem from c. 2200 BC
In reality a theory in natural science cannot be without experimental foundations; physics in particular comes from experimental work. ~ Samuel C. C. Ting b. 1936
- Alta syncs automatically and wirelessly to computers and 200+ leading iOS, Android and Windows devices using Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology. Syncing to computers requires Internet connection and USB port. Syncing to mobile devices requires Bluetooth and Internet connection. Syncing range: 20 feet
- Water Resistance: Alta is sweat, rain, splash proof. You can wear Alta in the shower, but we recommend rinsing and drying it afterwards because it's best for your skin if the band stays clean and dry. Battery life: lasts up to 5 days. Radio transceiver: Bluetooth 4.0
- We recommend charging your device every few days to ensure you are always tracking. Charge time: One to two hours
- Syncs with Windows Vista and later, Mac OS X 10.6 and up, iPhone 4S and later, iPad 3 gen. and later, and leading Android and Windows devices
- See simplified heart rate zones for quickly checking exercise intensity during workouts with PurePulse(TM) continuous, wrist-based heart rate monitoring (no uncomfortable chest strap required)
- Use multi-sport tracking to track runs, cardio, cross-training, biking and more. Effortlessly and automatically record other workouts to your dashboard with SmartTrack
- Enable connected GPS to map your routes and see run stats like pace and duration on display (when your phone is nearby)
- Track steps, distance, calories burned, floors climbed and active minutes. Stay connected with call, text & calendar alerts and notifications from your favorite apps like Gmail, Facebook and more (when phone is nearby).Start a FitStar workout on your wrist and get step-by-step instructions and graphics to ensure you complete each move correctly
- Track steps, distance, calories burned and active minutes
- See stats and time with a bright OLED tap display
- Automatically track how long and how well you sleep, and set a silent, vibrating alarm
- Personalize with interchangeable metal, leather and classic bands (sold separately)
- Get call, text and calendar notifications at a glance (when phone is nearby)