A fact acquires its true and full value only through the idea which is developed from it. ~ Justus von Liebig - 1803 to 1873
Time is the best appraiser of scientific work and I am aware that an industrial discovery rarely produces all its fruit in the hands of its first inventor. ~ Louis Pasteur - 1822 to 1895
Victor Babeș (1854–1926) Romania – Babesia the founder of serum therapy.
Nikola Tesla (1856–1943) Croatia/Serbia – induction motor high-voltage / high-frequency power experiments the transmission of electrical power.
Muhammad ibn Jābir al-Harrānī al-Battānī (Albatenius) (853-929) Syria/Turkey – observation tube.
Sir William Siemens (1823–1883) Germany – regenerative furnace.
Shintaro Uda (1869–1976) together with Hidetsugu Yagi (1886–1976) Japan – Yagi-Uda antenna.
John J. Montgomery (1858–1911) USA – heavier-than-air gliders.
Murasaki Shikibu (c. 973–1025) Japan – psychological novel.
Heike Kamerlingh Onnes (1853–1926) Netherlands – liquid helium.
Erna Schneider Hoover (born 1926) USA – computerized telephone switching system.
Guglielmo Marconi (1874–1937) Italy – radio telegraphy.
Robert Bunsen (1811–1899) Germany – Bunsen burner.
William Painter (1838–1906) UK/USA – a.o. Crown cork Bottle opener.
Grace Murray Hopper (1906–1992) USA – Compiler.
Fedor Tokarev (1871–1968) Russia – TT-33 semiautomatic handgun and SVT-40 self-loading rifle.
Fyodor Blinov (1827–1902) Russia – first tracked vehicle steam-powered continuous track tractor.
Adolf von Baeyer (1835–1917) Germany – a.o. Fluorescein synthetic Indigo dye Phenolphthalein.
Vladimir Chelomey (1914–1984) Russia – first space station (Salyut) Proton rocket (the most used heavy lift launch system).
Ladislas Starevich (1882–1965) Russia/France – puppet animation live-action/animated film.
Frank Pantridge (1916–2004) Ireland – Portable defibrillator.
William Justin Kroll (1889–1973) Luxemburg/USA – Kroll process.
We think there is color we think there is sweet we think there is bitter but in reality there are atoms and a void. ~ Democritus c. 460 – c. 370 BC
Benjamin Franklin performed a beautiful experiment using surfactants; on a pond at Clapham Common he poured a small amount of oleic acid a natural surfactant which tends to form a dense film at the water-air interface. He measured the volume required to cover all the pond. Knowing the area he then knew the height of the film something like three nanometers in our current units. ~ Pierre-Gilles de Gennes 1932 to 2007
It does not help that some politicians and journalists assume the public is interested only in those aspects of science that promise immediate practical applications to technology or medicine. - Steven Weinberg 1933 to present Theoretical Physicist
I accept no principles of physics which are not also accepted in mathematics. ~ René Descartes 1596 to 1650
In my experience most mathematicians are intellectually lazy and especially dislike reading experimental papers. ~ Francis Crick 1916 – 2004 - Molecular Biologist
Botany consists in the gathering of plants and the dismembering of them in connection with the use of a complicated terminology. That is the beginning and end of botany as it is understood by the majority. ~ Herbert Maule Richards 1871 to 1928 - Botanist
A detective with his murder mystery a chemist seeking the structure of a new compound use little of the formal and logical modes of reasoning. Through a series of intuitions surmises fancies they stumble upon the right explanation and have a knack of seizing it when it once comes within reach. ~ Gilbert Lewis 1875 – 1946
- Alta syncs automatically and wirelessly to computers and 200+ leading iOS, Android and Windows devices using Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology. Syncing to computers requires Internet connection and USB port. Syncing to mobile devices requires Bluetooth and Internet connection. Syncing range: 20 feet
- Water Resistance: Alta is sweat, rain, splash proof. You can wear Alta in the shower, but we recommend rinsing and drying it afterwards because it's best for your skin if the band stays clean and dry. Battery life: lasts up to 5 days. Radio transceiver: Bluetooth 4.0
- We recommend charging your device every few days to ensure you are always tracking. Charge time: One to two hours
- Syncs with Windows Vista and later, Mac OS X 10.6 and up, iPhone 4S and later, iPad 3 gen. and later, and leading Android and Windows devices
- See simplified heart rate zones for quickly checking exercise intensity during workouts with PurePulse(TM) continuous, wrist-based heart rate monitoring (no uncomfortable chest strap required)
- Use multi-sport tracking to track runs, cardio, cross-training, biking and more. Effortlessly and automatically record other workouts to your dashboard with SmartTrack
- Enable connected GPS to map your routes and see run stats like pace and duration on display (when your phone is nearby)
- Track steps, distance, calories burned, floors climbed and active minutes. Stay connected with call, text & calendar alerts and notifications from your favorite apps like Gmail, Facebook and more (when phone is nearby).Start a FitStar workout on your wrist and get step-by-step instructions and graphics to ensure you complete each move correctly
- Track steps, distance, calories burned and active minutes
- See stats and time with a bright OLED tap display
- Automatically track how long and how well you sleep, and set a silent, vibrating alarm
- Personalize with interchangeable metal, leather and classic bands (sold separately)
- Get call, text and calendar notifications at a glance (when phone is nearby)