With monads and diads and pentads and triads My brain has been addled completely; And what’s really meant by ‘something-valent ’ Is a question I give up discretely. ~ John Cargill Brough - 1834 to 1872
The literary convention that numbers less than 10 should be given in words is often highly unsuitable in mathematics… The excessive use of the word forms is regrettably spreading at the present time. ~ J.E. Littlewood 1885 – 1977 - Mathematician
Gregory Goodwin Pincus (1903–1967) together with Min Chueh Chang (1908–1991) USA/China – Combined oral contraceptive pill.
Gustav de Laval (1845–1913) Sweden – invented the milk separator and the milking machine.
George William Manby (1765–1854) UK – Fire extinguisher.
Les Paul (1915–2009) USA – multitrack recording.
Igor Tamm (1895–1971) Russia – co-developer of tokamak.
Antonio Benedetto Carpano (1764–1815) Italy – modern vermouth.
Willem Johan Kolff (1911–2009) Netherlands – artificial kidney hemodialysis machine.
Virginia Apgar (1909–1974) USA – Apgar score (for newborn babies).
Dean Kamen (born 1951) USA – Invented the Segway HT scooter and the IBOT Mobility Device.
Rowland Hill (1795–1879) UK – postage stamp.
Simon Sze (born 1936) Taiwan/USA together with Dawon Kahng (1931–1992) South Korea – Floating-gate MOSFET.
Ibn Samh (c. 1020) Middle East – mechanical geared astrolabe.
Ken Kutaragi (born 1950) Japan – PlayStation.
Donát Bánki (1859–1922) Hungary – inventor of the carburetor for the stationary engine.
Evgeniy Chertovsky (born 1902) Russia – pressure suit.
Jozef Karol Hell (1713–1789) Slovakia – the water pillar.
Ibn al-Haytham (Alhazen) (965–1039) Iraq – camera obscura pinhole camera magnifying glass.
John "Jack" Higson Cover Jr. (1920–2009) USA – Taser.
Jacob Rabinow (1910–1999) USA – a.o. Magnetic particle clutch various Phonograph-related patents.
Rasmus Lerdorf (born 1968) Greenland/Canada – PHP (programming language).
Pure mathematics exist by themselves; no will produces them no power can limit them. They are eternal laws that no man can infringe and from which it is impossible to escape. ~ S. Sandaram Iyer 1883 - Philosopher
Macroscopic objects as we see them all around us are governed by a variety of forces derived from a variety of approximations to a variety of physical theories. In contrast the only elements in the construction of black holes are our basic concepts of space and time. They are thus almost by definition the most perfect macroscopic objects there are in the universe. ~ Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar 1910 to 1995
I see some parallels between the shifts of fashion in mathematics and in music. In music the popular new styles of jazz and rock became fashionable a little earlier than the new mathematical styles of chaos and complexity theory. Jazz and rock were long despised by classical musicians but have emerged as art-forms more accessible than classical music to a wide section of the public. Jazz and rock are no longer to be despised as passing fads. Neither are chaos and complexity theory. But still classical music and classical mathematics are not dead. Mozart lives and so does Euler. When the wheel of fashion turns once more quantum mechanics and hard analysis will once again be in style. ~ Freeman Dyson b. 1923 - Mathematician and Physicist
Botany consists in the gathering of plants and the dismembering of them in connection with the use of a complicated terminology. That is the beginning and end of botany as it is understood by the majority. ~ Herbert Maule Richards 1871 to 1928 - Botanist
No two electrons in the same state? That is why atoms are so unnecessarily big and why metal and stone are so bulky. (Explaining that atoms are as large as they are because of Wolfgang Pauli’s Principle.) ~ Paul Ehrenfest 1880 – 1933
Geometry is one and eternal shining in the mind of God. That men share in it is among the reasons that Man is the image of God. ~ Johannes Kepler 1571 – 1630 Mathematician and Astronomer
Before the Copernican revolution it was natural to suppose that God’s purposes were specifically concerned with the earth but now this has become an unplausible hypothesis. If it is the purpose of the Cosmos to evolve mind we must regard it as rather incompetent in having produced so little in such a long time. ~ Bertrand Russell 1872 – 1970 - Mathematician and Philosopher
- The Circel Of Life, Circel Pendant Message " ancient meaning...circle of life dream meaning...success beyond your wildest dreams 21st century meaning...what goes around comes around whatever it means to you... believe, trust, and enjoy!! " Card Necklace.
- Perfect Gift For Yourself or Your loved ones. Symbol of good health and good luck.
- Metal Type: Gold Plated
- FE Message "ponte tu collar y pide deseo. si crees en ti mismo y en tu potencial, todo puede ser posible! usa tu collar para que siempre recuerdes que hay que tener fe." Card Cross Pendant Necklace.
- Environment Friendly Gold Plated, Carefully Handmade By Skilled Workman.
- Metal Type: Gold Plated, Spring Ring Clasp.
- Chain Length: 45 cm + 10 cm.
- Key To Success Message "make a wish and put on your necklace. it's no secret¡the key to success is doing what you love! wear your necklace as a reminder that you can do anything you set your mind and your heart to!" Necklace for Women.
- Gold Plated Alloy, Spring-Ring Clasp.
- 16" Necklace to Be Worn Alone or Layered.
- Perfect Gift for Yourself or Your Loved Ones.
- Each Necklace Comes in An Original Package.