When you hear a physicist invoke the uncertainty principle keep a hand on your wallet. ~ David Griffiths b. 1942
In reality a theory in natural science cannot be without experimental foundations; physics in particular comes from experimental work. ~ Samuel C. C. Ting b. 1936
Félix d'Herelle (1873–1949) together with Giorgi Eliava (1892–1937) France / Georgia – Phage therapy.
Nikolai Lebedenko Russia – Tsar Tank the largest armored vehicle in history.
Johann Maria Farina (1685–1766) Germany; Eau de Cologne.
Temple Grandin (born 1945) Inventor of the squeeze machine and humane abattoirs..
Otto von Guericke (1602–1686) Germany – vacuum pump manometer dasymeter.
Anthony R. Barringer (1925–2009) Canada/USA – INPUT (Induced Pulse Transient) airborne electromagnetic system.
Alexandru Ciurcu (1854–1922) Romania – Reaction engine.
Elias Howe (1819–1867) USA – sewing machine.
Robert W. Gore (born 1937) United States – Gore-Tex.
Alfred P. Southwick (1826 – 1898) USA - Electric chair.
William Henry Perkin (1838–1907) United Kingdom – first synthetic organic chemical dye Mauveine.
Guido van Rossum (born 1956) The Netherlands – Python (programming language).
John Roebuck (1718–1794) UK – lead chamber process for sulfuric acid synthesis.
Herman Hollerith (1860–1929) USA – recording data on a machine readable medium tabulator punched cards.
Georgios Papanikolaou (1883–1962) Greece / USA – Papanicolaou stain Pap test = Pap smear.
Aeneas Coffey (1780–1852) Ireland – heat exchanger Coffey still.
Abu-Mahmud al-Khujandi (c. 940–1000) Persia/Iran – astronomical sextant.
Nikolay Brusentsov (born 1925) Russia – ternary computer (Setun).
Frank Marugg (inv. 1944) USA – Wheel clamp.
George de Mestral (1907–1990) Switzerland – Velcro.
I believe that new mathematical schemata new systems of axioms certainly new systems of mathematical structures will be suggested by the study of the living world. ~ Stan Ulam 1909 – 1984 - Mathematician
Chemistry unlike other sciences sprang originally from delusions and superstitions and was at its commencement exactly on a par with magic and astrology. ~ Thomas Thomson - 1773 to 1852
We think there is color we think there is sweet we think there is bitter but in reality there are atoms and a void. ~ Democritus c. 460 – c. 370 BC
I accept no principles of physics which are not also accepted in mathematics. ~ René Descartes 1596 to 1650
Before the Copernican revolution it was natural to suppose that God’s purposes were specifically concerned with the earth but now this has become an unplausible hypothesis. If it is the purpose of the Cosmos to evolve mind we must regard it as rather incompetent in having produced so little in such a long time. ~ Bertrand Russell 1872 – 1970 - Mathematician and Philosopher
The condition of matter I have dignified by the term Electronic THE ELECTRONIC STATE. What do you think of that? Am I not a bold man ignorant as I am to coin words? ~ Michael Faraday 1791 – 1867
Chemistry unlike other sciences sprang originally from delusions and superstitions and was at its commencement exactly on a par with magic and astrology. - Thomas Thomson 1773 to 1852 Chemist
- Alta syncs automatically and wirelessly to computers and 200+ leading iOS, Android and Windows devices using Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology. Syncing to computers requires Internet connection and USB port. Syncing to mobile devices requires Bluetooth and Internet connection. Syncing range: 20 feet
- Water Resistance: Alta is sweat, rain, splash proof. You can wear Alta in the shower, but we recommend rinsing and drying it afterwards because it's best for your skin if the band stays clean and dry. Battery life: lasts up to 5 days. Radio transceiver: Bluetooth 4.0
- We recommend charging your device every few days to ensure you are always tracking. Charge time: One to two hours
- Syncs with Windows Vista and later, Mac OS X 10.6 and up, iPhone 4S and later, iPad 3 gen. and later, and leading Android and Windows devices
- See simplified heart rate zones for quickly checking exercise intensity during workouts with PurePulse(TM) continuous, wrist-based heart rate monitoring (no uncomfortable chest strap required)
- Use multi-sport tracking to track runs, cardio, cross-training, biking and more. Effortlessly and automatically record other workouts to your dashboard with SmartTrack
- Enable connected GPS to map your routes and see run stats like pace and duration on display (when your phone is nearby)
- Track steps, distance, calories burned, floors climbed and active minutes. Stay connected with call, text & calendar alerts and notifications from your favorite apps like Gmail, Facebook and more (when phone is nearby).Start a FitStar workout on your wrist and get step-by-step instructions and graphics to ensure you complete each move correctly
- Track steps, distance, calories burned and active minutes
- See stats and time with a bright OLED tap display
- Automatically track how long and how well you sleep, and set a silent, vibrating alarm
- Personalize with interchangeable metal, leather and classic bands (sold separately)
- Get call, text and calendar notifications at a glance (when phone is nearby)