No two electrons in the same state? That is why atoms are so unnecessarily big and why metal and stone are so bulky. (Explaining that atoms are as large as they are because of Wolfgang Pauli’s Principle.) ~ Paul Ehrenfest 1880 – 1933
There may be babblers wholly ignorant of mathematics who dare to condemn my hypothesis upon the authority of some part of the Bible twisted to suit their purpose. I value them not and scorn their unfounded judgment. - Nicolaus Copernicus 1473 – 1543 Astronomer Mathematician
Claude Chappe (1763–1805) France – Semaphore line.
Hub van Doorne (1900–1979) Netherlands Variomatic continuously variable transmission.
János Csonka (1852–1939) Hungary – co-inventor of carburetor.
August Schrader (1820–?) USA – Schrader valve for Pneumatic tire.
Robert H. Dennard (born 1932) USA– Dynamic random-access memory (DRAM).
Wright brothers Orville (1871–1948) and Wilbur (1867–1912) – USA – powered airplane.
Katharine B. Blodgett (1898–1979) UK – nonreflective glass.
Giacomo da Lentini (13th Century) Italy – Sonnet.
Toshitada Doi (born 1943) Japan together with Joop Sinjou Netherlands – Compact disc.
Mario Ramberg Capecchi (born 1937) together with Sir Martin John Evans (born 1941) and Oliver Smithies (born 1925) USA – Knockout mouse Gene targeting.
Shintaro Uda (1869–1976) together with Hidetsugu Yagi (1886–1976) Japan – Yagi-Uda antenna.
Émile Baudot (1845-1903) France - Baudot code.
Jamshīd al-Kāshī (c. 1380–1429) Persia/Iran – plate of conjunctions analog planetary computer.
Ivan Kulibin (1735–1818) Russia – egg-shaped clock candle searchlight elevator using screw mechanisms a self-rolling carriage featuring a flywheel brake gear box and bearing an early optical telegraph.
George Westinghouse (1846–1914) USA – Air brake (rail).
Yuri Trutnev (1927–) Russia – co-developer of the Tsar Bomb.
Gustav de Laval (1845–1913) Sweden – invented the milk separator and the milking machine.
Benjamin Chew Tilghman (1821–1897) USA – sandblasting.
George de Bothezat (1882–1940) Russia/USA – quadrotor helicopter (The Flying Octopus).
Frederick Sanger (1918–2013) USA – Sanger sequencing (= DNA sequencing).
The condition of matter I have dignified by the term Electronic THE ELECTRONIC STATE. What do you think of that? Am I not a bold man ignorant as I am to coin words? ~ Michael Faraday 1791 – 1867
Every aspect of the world today – even politics and international relations – is affected by chemistry. ~ Linus Pauling - 1901 to 1994
I have eaten 2/3 of 1/3 of my food ration. 7 remains. How much food did I start with? ~ Cuneiform Babylonian mathematics exercise 1900 – 1600 BC
Chemists do not usually stutter. It would be very awkward if they did seeing that they have at times to get out such words as methylethylamylophenylium. ~ Sir William Crookes - 1832 to 1919
Understanding the history of matter and searching for its most interesting forms such as galaxies stars planets and life seems a suitable use for our intelligence. - Robert Kirshner 1949 to present Astronomer
Physics is very muddled again at the moment; it is much too hard for me anyway and I wish I were a movie comedian or something like that and had never heard anything about physics! ~ Wolfgang Pauli 1900 – 1958
I am busy just now again on electro-magnetism and I think I may have got hold of a good thing. ~ Michael Faraday 1791 – 1867
- Alta syncs automatically and wirelessly to computers and 200+ leading iOS, Android and Windows devices using Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology. Syncing to computers requires Internet connection and USB port. Syncing to mobile devices requires Bluetooth and Internet connection. Syncing range: 20 feet
- Water Resistance: Alta is sweat, rain, splash proof. You can wear Alta in the shower, but we recommend rinsing and drying it afterwards because it's best for your skin if the band stays clean and dry. Battery life: lasts up to 5 days. Radio transceiver: Bluetooth 4.0
- We recommend charging your device every few days to ensure you are always tracking. Charge time: One to two hours
- Syncs with Windows Vista and later, Mac OS X 10.6 and up, iPhone 4S and later, iPad 3 gen. and later, and leading Android and Windows devices
- See simplified heart rate zones for quickly checking exercise intensity during workouts with PurePulse(TM) continuous, wrist-based heart rate monitoring (no uncomfortable chest strap required)
- Use multi-sport tracking to track runs, cardio, cross-training, biking and more. Effortlessly and automatically record other workouts to your dashboard with SmartTrack
- Enable connected GPS to map your routes and see run stats like pace and duration on display (when your phone is nearby)
- Track steps, distance, calories burned, floors climbed and active minutes. Stay connected with call, text & calendar alerts and notifications from your favorite apps like Gmail, Facebook and more (when phone is nearby).Start a FitStar workout on your wrist and get step-by-step instructions and graphics to ensure you complete each move correctly
- Track steps, distance, calories burned and active minutes
- See stats and time with a bright OLED tap display
- Automatically track how long and how well you sleep, and set a silent, vibrating alarm
- Personalize with interchangeable metal, leather and classic bands (sold separately)
- Get call, text and calendar notifications at a glance (when phone is nearby)